Thursday, August 21, 2008

Flops at Centre Stage

After sharing much of the limelight, the writer is back =P

Today's Malaysian papers' highlight:

Lee Chong Wei, badminton player awarded Datukship in Penang after his heroics in Olmpics


I would pity Nicol David if she feels insulted, as I think she deserves the creditation so much more than Lee Chong Wei, though he got a silver in the Olympics in the singles badminton event.


But I have full faith in Chong Wei, unlike so many other athletes who slumped so badly after doing well in just a few outings.


But as it reminds me, I still feel disappointed after watching Chong Wei losing so tamely to World number one Lin Dan in the final.


It was totally too easy for Lin Dan, whom I think would not expect such an easy match himself.


The score was 21-13,21-8. EIGHT by a world number 2?


Michael, my lecturer always said we are not the one playing in the match so we can't criticize too much, but the truth is, we are not playing there. IT'S CHONG WEI!


Technically, I think Chong Wei has all the big guns inside him and if he is in top form, Lin Dan may lose to him also. But thanks to his fidgetings and nervousness again in a big stage like this, his performance was WAY below par.


I could still remember I was expecting a heck of match 40 minutes before the match when I was still doing FP tutorial. XD I seriously simply did the questions, as I could not concentrate already. My mind is already in the shuttlecock swt.


But it turned out in the end it was a REAL disappointment. It's done and dusted in just merely 40 minutes. The manner in which he lost, was even more saddening. So far away from how he dismantled Sony Kyuncuro in the quarters.


To be fair to him, it was a silver in the end, and maybe he just needs to learn how to handle pressure in the big stage like this, and you don't always get into the final of an Olympics event.
Buck up Chong Wei!

1 comment:

NicolDavidOnline.com said...

yea.. it is unfortunate that squash isn’t in the Olympics!

Thanks for your support of Datuk Nicol!

All the best!

Editor WMSiew,
nicoldavidonline.com